Annual Report 200102/01/2002
- 1. Introduction
- 2.1 Priorities of Inspections Performed in 2001
- 2.2 Overall Surveys of Results of Control
- 2.3 Results of Controls of the Microbiological Requirements
- 2.4 Results of Analyses for Contaminants
- 2.5 Controls of Labelling and Quality
- 2.6 Thematic and Extraordinary Inspections
- 2.6.1 Inspections focusing on food safety
- 2.6.2 Inspections focused on adulterations
- 2.6.3 Complex and other inspections
- 2.7 Inspections in production
- 2.8 Inspections in trade network
- 2.9 Suggestions
- 2.10 Penalties
- 3 Laboratory Activities
- 4 Certification Activities
- 5 Internal Information System
- 6 Personnel Training
- 7 Activities in the Field of Legislation
- 8 Cooperation with Other Authorities and Institutions
- 9 International Relations
- 10 Public Relations
- 11 Conclusion
- 12 Abbreviations and Explanations
In 2001 the CAFIA inspectors carried out altogether 8,080 inspections of the producers, in which the total of 4,450 premises (places of production) were inspected, of which some repeatedly. From the perspective of commodities, the highest number of inspections took place in bakeries, producers of cold meals and pastries. This corresponds with the number of registrations made by CAFIA: at the date of December 31, 2001, the total of 2,364 producers of bakery products; 1,414 producers of pastries and 1,369 producers of cold meals were registered.
In most cases the inspections focused on the determination of critical points, i.e. the identification whether the producers complied with the requirements laid down in the Decree of the Ministry of Agriculture No. 147/998. Furthermore, the inspections focused on the control of food safety, quality, implementation of the imposed actions and compliance with the requirements for hygienic conditions.
The number of inspections focusing on the food safety and carried out in production reached the total of 2,745. The breached requirements for food safety were identified in 204 inspections (i.e. 7.4 %), most frequently relating to pastries (49 inspections), followed by cold meals (29 inspections) and bakery products (13 inspections).
The HACCP system verification was carried out in 6,042 inspections. It is clear from the obtained results that 68.2 % of the assessed production premises fully complied with the requirements of the implementing provision relating to the HACCP system. Some non-conformances were identified in the remaining 31.8 % (the system was either missing completely or was in different phases of progress). The commodities such as beer, edible salt, fresh fruit, soft drinks, foodstuffs for special dietary uses and cereals were classified among the lines of business with the highest share of compliances in the production processes. On the contrary, the commodities such as the production of chocolate, sweets, pastries, ice cream and bakery products were included among the lines of business with the highest share of non-conformances identified in the production process.
When a non-conformance was identified within the scope of inspections of critical points the adequate actions were imposed. The periods given to remove the non-conformances were set with respect to the specific situation so that they could be feasible for the producer. The priority objective was to provide for the adherence to requirements laid down in the implementing provision and for the improvement of the overall situation, not to impose a penalty.
It is evident from the results of HACCP control obtained at the date of December 31, 2001, that the situation notably improved compared to the previous period, i.e. at the date of 31 December 2000, when the same inspections identified 26.1 % of productions without problems and non-conformances in 73.9 % of production processes.